mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Havoc by Steven Freeman

Havoc - Steven F.  Freeman

I wanted to like this book, I really did. The synopsis drew me in and I was hoping to be taken on an adventure. European travels, murder, mystery, romance: all things I love in a novel. Unfortunately Havoc did not resonate well with me.

Freeman was very detailed in the location descriptions and made it easy to follow the path of Mallory and Alton as they traversed through Europe which I appreciated. I got a sense of timing and some brief descriptions of the various fountains, monuments and museums they visited on their vacation. I didn't see the final plot twist coming so the mystery was well built.

Full disclosure: I haven't read the first 3 books in the series so perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had more character background. Alton seemed a bit whiny and insecure about his relationship which, given the brief glimpses of their past, seemed silly. I didn't particularly like the dialogue between the characters as the conversations seemed forced and overly detailed. There were no inferences in the way Alton and Mallory communicated, every detail was stated matter-of-factly which seemed unnatural for a couple that had been friends for years and traveling together.

All in all this was not my cup of tea, but if you're a fan of the series, or of the genre you may enjoy it!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.*