mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

Pink Lock Picks and Sequined Witch Hats
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
Jenny Lawson
Billow
Emma Raveling

The Killer Next Door: Time to get new neighbors!

The Killer Next Door - Alex Marwood

Wow. That is all I can come up with at the moment. The Killer Next Door is not what I expected, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't necessarily categorize this as a thriller but I don't know what other genre would be appropriate given the nature of the book. There weren't a lot of surprises or tension that I would expect, but the story was beautifully crafted.

Each member of this group jumps off of the page. This cast of characters becomes friends through a series of unfortunate events. We see the world from all of their perspectives and Marwood transitions between them seamlessly. This book is definitely plot driven with each of the six characters having their own story to tell.

While the killer is revealed early on, it did not detract from the mystery of his character. We are taken to unexpected places as he describes what goes through his mind. The details made my skin crawl, but I couldn't stop reading. The depth of craziness built into the Lover comes across very strong, but you almost feel sorry for him. The ending was not really a surprise, but it was satisfying.

All in all I highly recommend this if you have any interest in a killer's point of view. The rest of the characters are equally well written with deep backgrounds and secrets of their own, making this novel one that will appreciated for years to come.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.*