mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

Pink Lock Picks and Sequined Witch Hats
Emma Raveling
SPOILER ALERT!

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

This was our fabulous book club pick for November and I'm glad I read it. I know a fair amount of people hated the way the book was written because they can't deal with unusual writing styles the author has a unique writing style, but I didn't mind it at all.

There is definitely some similarities to the X-men story line in the idea of special abilities being granted to the few, and the exploitation of those gifts. The dystopian setting really brings out the narrative for me. The allusions to the amount of life lost, joy taken away and overall terrible environment brought me into this world of despair. I enjoyed the insights into Juliette's psyche. Her isolation and abandonment issues will affect her story in a significant way.

Warner is an interesting character, I don't hate him. I actually kind of like him and I'm not sure why. I know he clearly has no good intentions but I kind of like the way he interacts with Juliette. I know he wants her to realize her power so he can utilize it but in doing so he is helping her figure out what she is capable of. Their conversations solidify Juliette's stance on torture and humanity and I think that will be a key part of the next book.

Adam, oh Adam... I wasn't a fan of his at first but he grew on me. I loved learning about his history with Juliette and how their shared misery gave him hope. While the ending wasn't a cliffhanger, it did leave me wanting more of their story.

Highly recommended and currently on sale for $1.99 on Amazon