mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Kybernos by M.J.A Watney

Kybernos - M. J. A. Watney

Do you believe in coincidence? Kybernos is a beautifully crafted piece of art that takes you to the edge of reason, jumps over, and then gleefully brings you back. Even when I thought I knew where the story was headed, another plot twist had me guessing again. It is hard to put this book into a specific genre, but if you are a fan of The DaVinci Code then you should give this book a try.

There are no chapters in this book, it flows from character to character with ease. Watney does a great job immersing you into the scene and building a sense of the world around you. From the street markets to the lovers lane, each scene is built uniquely from the characters perspective. Though there are several characters to keep track of, after the first quarter of the book it gets easier to relate to them.

Bertram, Anita, Charles and their motley crew of friends somehow weave their way into your heart and make you cheer them on. Nothing in this book is quite as it seems and there were moments where I didn't quite understand what was happening, but that was intentional. By the end of the story everything was revealed and it made me appreciate the earlier chapters even more. I enjoy books that keep me guessing and don't turn out they way I expect them to.

There was so much going on throughout the short time frame that it was impossible to put the book down. With the world's health at stake, I was unsure if our unexpected hero's would make it. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I will just say that if you enjoy mystery/thrillers with a theological element, I highly recommend this. Right up until the conclusion, I was still being surprised.

All in all it was a great read, with well built characters and an interesting story line. I look forward to more from this author!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.*