mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Flirting with Disaster by Victoria Dahl

Flirting with Disaster - Victoria Dahl

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.

A hot U.S marshal shows up on your doorstep and the rest, as they say, is history....unless of course you happened to be in hiding. This story has a few unexpected moments, but overall is a fairly typical romance story.

I really enjoyed the small town characters and back-woods type atmosphere in Jackson, Wyoming. Few neighbors, even less social engagements and a gorgeous scenery sounds pretty ideal for an artist. Nobody would notice if she kept weird hours or stayed up all night painting. This was the life for Isabelle, not to mention there would be few people asking questions about her past.

The introduction between Isabelle and Tom was pretty funny. I enjoyed their ongoing banter and flirtatiousness and it made it an enjoyable, light read. I've been reading a fair amount of new adult romance lately and it was kind of nice to skip a lot of that young ignorance since these characters are in their 30's/40's. The chemistry was hot, hot, hot between them and Victoria Dahl certainly knows how a write a good love scene.

I'm not sure why this book didn't quite connect with me. I guess I felt it was a bit predictable at times and I would have liked a little more context to their characters. We do get some glimpses into their past but the majority of their interaction is based on a mutual attraction, which while great, doesn't always lead to a happily ever after.

If you're in the mood for some fun banter, hot bedroom scenes and a bit of mystery, I recommend picking this up!