mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Seabound by Jordan Rivet

Seabound (Seabound Chronicles) (Volume 1) - Jordan Rivet

Although the story started off a bit slow for me, about a quarter of the way through the adventure really began to pick up and I enjoyed it a lot more. The world building was well done and it was easy to jump into the idea of life at sea thanks to Jordan Rivet's detailed storytelling.

Esther was a heroine I could really get behind. She is feisty, rebellious, smart, strong and caring which I think is a great combination. It was nice to read a post-apocalyptic story where the girl doesn't have to all of the sudden learn a ton of new things in order to survive. Esther grew up on this ship and chose her profession because it interested her. While everyone on the ship had to contribute to their society in a tangible way, I really enjoyed that people could pursue their interests as a part of that.

The delicate nature of an enclosed environment was really well done. Rivet does a wonderful job of showing that the slightest threat of limited resources can really change the way a peaceful society interacts. Life at sea is a precarious notion, you must rely on luck and good judgement to survive a storm or find the right parts to fix your ship. Coming across other ships wasn't always a good thing as anyone could be a threat.

The supporting cast of characters brought a lot to the story as well. Varying personalities and views of the world gave this book some tenacious moments and left me wanting to learn more about them. The ending left me satisfied but optimistic about future books in the series.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.**