mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Believers- Truth in Deception

Believers: Truth in deception (Volume 1) - Tamara D Taylor

I have a weakness for books about a dire future for our world. The idea that we, as a society, are causing our own demise fascinates me on a real and terrifying level. Tamara Taylor does an amazing job building this future world. Classism, fear and power dictate a cruel way of life for most of the population and most of them would do anything to get their hands on the drug that makes them stop aging.

I enjoyed Mary as a character and her mistrust of "the system". Even her motion sickness really helped shape her as someone normal who gets thrown into extraordinary circumstances. I could have used a little more background on her family and friends but there was enough information to get a feel for where she came from and what she stood for.

The religious parts of the book weren't overwhelming, but they were definitely prominent in the story. If you shy away from books with religion, I would recommend giving this a shot anyway because while it is a theme it is not what I would call preachy.

What kept this from being a 5 for me was the villain. I figured out pretty early on what was happening and that ruined it a bit for me. Overall, it was a nice build to a climactic ending and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I look forward to more from this series!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.*