mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: What a Lady Requires

What a Lady Requires - Ashlyn Macnamara
While I'm still relatively new to the Historical Romance genre, I am really enjoying it so far. Ashlyn Macnamara does a wonderful job creating a smart, witty heroine and her counterpart a rough, secret keeping husband. They marry shortly after their awkward introductions and over the course of the book learn what it means to be married and to open your heart.

Emma's character is by far my favorite part of this story. As a woman who loves crunching numbers, like Emma, I would find the "sit and look pretty" aspects of our history incredibly boring and hard to deal with. I thoroughly loved her keen interest in all matters of the estate and her willingness to ignore the societal norms of the time. She goes into her marriage thinking it is just a business transaction but quickly learns that sharing a bed means a lot more than creating an heir.

Rowan is a troubled man, and his lack of business finesse has cost him most of his fortune. His marriage to Emma not only helps him financially but it is the hope of his brother and Emma's father that her business sense will rub off on him. He has his own past to face before being able to commit to his marriage and his wife.

Macnamara is a wonderful storyteller and finds a way to build tension both sexually and among the supporting characters in a well crafted plot. Emma and Rowan are learning about themselves and each other as they navigate their new marriage and I enjoyed their story right through the last page.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.