mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

Pink Lock Picks and Sequined Witch Hats
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: The Daylight Marriage

The Daylight Marriage - Heidi Pitlor

I must admit, this didn't feel very much like a "thriller" or mystery for me. Perhaps I'm just a good guesser, but there weren't any moments that surprised me or caught me off guard. The story evoked a lot of emotions, heartbreak and empathy for the characters being the top two.

This is one of those stories that feels too real. A marriage in trouble, the heartbreak of a teenagers grief, realizing too late how important someone is to you....all of the feels. Heidi Pitlor writes a harrowing tale of a family dealing with a tragic circumstance. You get insight into life before the incident and the aftermath as alternate perspectives fill in the details of the life of this family.

The characters are raw and flawed and while it was a very well written story, it is not what I would expect from a thriller. I finished this book feeling depressed, and with the reminder to appreciate the people in my life. To stop once in a while and check in with a parent, partner, child etc because you never know how quickly life can change.

If you enjoy life-like stories about an ordinary family put in a tragic situation, then I recommend this.

I received a copy of this book  from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.