mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Melody's Key by Dallas Coryell

Melody's Key - Dallas Coryell

Ah, the romance. *Sigh*. I have a lot of love for this book, despite some minor flaws it was a well thought out story with some great characters.

Music is good for the soul. I love that Tegan is a songwriter/singer that only writes for herself. The songs included in the book are poetic and I could actually hear the rhythm as I read them. She is a smart character with a lot of sass and a self-sacrificing devotion to her family. I adore that she wasn't blind to her family's struggles and the witty sarcasm about their various tenants throughout the summer kept the mood light and funny.

Mostly, I enjoyed that there was no insta-love between Tegan and her rockstar. They start off on very rocky footing and bumble around each other for a bit before realizing their attraction. Their snarky comments and embarrassing moments had me laughing throughout the book.

It is always hard for me to get into the endless-cash-flow type stories because sometimes it feels like such an easy fix to life's problems. This particular story I didn't mind it as much, which says a lot about the writing. It didn't feel like a "throw money at the problem" situation, but a genuine interest in the issue and solving it permanently. Having contacts and money certainly helps, but I can't fault our hero for taking an interest in the problem.

Final thoughts: If you're a fan of soulful connections and heartfelt families, you should definitely pick this up!