mischievously

Tina's Reading Space

Book reviews, random musings and all things bookish.

Summer Bucket List
T.K. Rapp
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: Great build, disappointing ending

Chameleon - Zoe Kalo

What first drew me to this book was the cover, isn't it gorgeous? I read the synopsis and knew that I had to get my hands on this intriguing story. Seances, murder, mystery and a convent, what could possibly go wrong?

Let's start with the good. First off, Paloma was an interesting character. Her experience and apathy toward her new "home" made her a character I could easily relate to. Who would want their senior year of high school uprooted? And to a convent? I would have hated it too. There was definitely a mystery about her and her curiosity about her new friends was natural and moved at a great pace. Paloma herself had some demons to battle and I really enjoyed her amateur sleuthing techniques and observations.

I have to say, what bothered me about this book is how rushed everything seemed at the end. The story was building nicely, sometimes even a bit slowly, and then all of the sudden I am rereading sections to try to figure out what happened. I love a good mystery/suspense build and I was disappointed in how quickly this one switched gears.

If you enjoy drama and a who-done-it thriller then this is the book for you. Lots of intrigue and interesting twists await you, I just didn't particularly enjoy the rushed ending.