mischievously

Tina's Reading Space

Book reviews, random musings and all things bookish.

Review: The Sweetest Match

The Sweetest Match - Abby Tyler

You know those stories that remind you of home? There's nothing earth shattering or huge plot twists but they are just a pleasant happy book. That's The Sweetest Match

Set in a small town in the Midwest, we meet cake decorator Sandy. Recently emerged from hiding in the outskirts of town since her teenage pregnancy, Sandy is cautious but optimistic about running into all of the people who shunned her years ago. Enter the match making old bitties.

Andrew has had a crush on Sandy since high school and is excited to spend time with her again. With the help of the town busy bodies, the two of them are paired up to work on the school centennial. As with most new relationships, first impressions and baggage are hurtles to overcome. Luckily for Sandy, Andrew doesn't shy away easily.

I wish the book included a little more history from Sandy's perspective. They touch on it occasionally but I think it would round out her character and make the story just a little more interesting if we heard more about her mother and what it was like staying out of town all those years. The story could use just a little more character depth, otherwise, I really enjoyed it.

This is a feel good story with small town humor. If you've ever lived in a small town you know that there's a lot of gossip and not a lot of secrets kept. Luckily for Andrew and Sandy, they get their happily ever after. I'd recommend this story if you're in the mood for a sweet romance.