mischievously

Tina's Reading Space

Book reviews, random musings and all things bookish.

Summer Bucket List
T.K. Rapp
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
Billow
Emma Raveling

Hushed by Britni Hill

Hushed - Britni Hill

Sometimes I forget my coffee at home and post reviews on the wrong book. Oopsie!

I happened to win a copy of Revealed, the second book in this series, via a Facebook contest. So, of course I had to read Hushed first and I am glad that I did. Not only does Britni Hill create a great atmosphere, her settings made me feel right at home. Like I was sitting there having a beer with the characters. I would say my biggest frustration is that I never really connected with Tess as a character. Tess seemed intent on avoiding the "bad boys" because her ex-boyfriend treated her poorly, but ends up dating a jerk (Jason) anyway. Nothing from there on out surprised me.

From the very beginning of the novel, I loved the tension between Tess and Blake. Their first kiss was swoon-worthy, so it kind of bothered me that we immediately jump to Tess dating/breaking up with Jason. When you have that kind of instant spark with someone it seems silly to brush it off, and even more strange to date the stepbrother. While I was glad we didn't have to read a lot about the Jason/Tess relationship, I did like Blake's character a lot which is what saved this book for me. The tension that builds over spring break due to their interesting sleeping arrangements was a lot of fun to read. As with most romance, there is always that fatal flaw in the relationship that needs to get resolved and the author does a good job with that without it being overly dramatic.

All in all, I enjoyed the start of the Western Palm series and will definitely read the next installment if only to learn more about the other characters in the series.

Source: http://www.hopelessbibliophile.com/2014/10/book-review-hushed-by-britni-hill.html