mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Billow
Emma Raveling

Loooooong

To Catch a Lady: A Hunt Club Novel - Pamela Labud

Full review to come, but my first thought when finally finishing this book is that is was far too long. I realize it was only a little over 300 pages but it was slow, so so so so very slow.

Updated review:

My first thought upon finishing this novel was a long sigh and gratefulness that it was over. The premise had lots of potential as I tend to enjoy the hate-to-love troupe especially when the characters are passionate. I was hoping Caro was a fiery feminist and what I got was a few arguments between a husband and wife and lots of unnecessary writing in between.

At a little over 300 pages I feel like some editing would do this book a lot of good. I kept hoping things would pick up, but page after page seemed to get longer and longer. I wasn't really invested in either of the main characters and though I understood the tension the author was trying to create between them, it felt flat. Caro had some fire and spoke her mind, but only occasionally and usually not about the important parts of their relationship. Most of the novel was focused on the internal thoughts and struggles of both Ash and Caro and much of it could have been addressed with a single conversation. The tension was forced and extremely drawn out.

The ending was predictable and left little to be desired. Unfortunately this was not a read that I enjoyed.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion.