mischievously

Tina (HDB)

Book reviews, random musings and all things mischievous.

American Gods: A Novel
Neil Gaiman
Progress: 350/750 pages
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
Jenny Lawson
Billow
Emma Raveling

Review: HP Book #8

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling, John Kerr Tiffany, Jack Thorne

Where to begin? For those of you that have been reading my blog for a bit, you know that I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I watch the movies every year at Christmas, I re-read the books every few years and consider myself an avid fan. Despite all that, I was nervous about this new release. The 7 Harry Potter books are, in my humble opinion, a perfect story. The ending was enough for me and I was worried I would be disappointed by opening up another story in that universe. I can say that I was fretting over nothing.

Cursed Child picks up 19 years in the future, Harry, Ginny, Hermione, Ron and Draco all play a part in the story and it was fun to see them interacting as adults. Of course the main characters are their children, Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy. I won't go into any spoilers, but I will say that their friendship is one to be inspired by.

Reading the stage directions and dialogue really brought this story to life for me. While it was a short(er) read than a standard book, I think it really added a lot. If I ever got the chance to see this play in person, I'd be overwhelmed with joy.

There is a lot to learn from Albus and his relationship with Harry. The eloquence with which Harry bumbles his interactions with his son are endearing and cringe worthy. Frustrating as it is is for Harry as a parent, there is definitely a lot of love there. Unlike a lot of the original 7 books, Harry is not the good guy in this and I kind of love J.K Rowling for making him more flawed.

Final verdict: If you enjoy the Harry Potter franchise/universe, I think you'd enjoy this play. Leave your expectations at the door and enjoy a heartfelt coming of age story. You won't regret it.