mischievously

Tina's Reading Space

Book reviews, random musings and all things bookish.

Summer Bucket List
T.K. Rapp
Crown of Midnight
Sarah J. Maas
Billow
Emma Raveling

Take My Hand Series (Box Set) by Nicola Haken

Take My Hand - Nicola Haken

I'm not going to lie, I really wanted to love this series. I like an author that isn't afraid to tackle some dark issues. I made it through Take My Hand, the first book in the series, in one sitting. I started Hold on Tight and for the life of me I just can't motivate myself to finish it.

The author does a great job of introducing the characters and building a base to the romance between Emily and Dexter. One of things that is grating my nerves as I read through their dialogue was Dexter's constant use of "doll". While pet names don't normally bother me this one became grating very quickly due to overuse. I don't know why it was necessary to use so much, or perhaps the author thinks that's how a country american boy talks but it is one of the reasons I stopped reading half way through Hold on Tight.

I might come back to this series and try to finish it. Right now I just feel like it's such a predictable book that I don't need to keep reading. Also having a lead female character with no confidence really turns me off to a book. I get that characters need to grow and sometimes start off weak and become strong but everything I have read so far just makes Emily seem like a shell of a person. I want to root for her but I just can't get behind her blind devotion.